*Pretty Little Things is a new section featuring interior decorating tips and ideas!
Mirror mirror on the wall, who’s the girliest of them all? For you curly princesses out there, here’s a fantastic addition to your castle. This silk flower lampshade is a fairly easy DIY project that compliments your space with a touch of femininity. You don’t have to stick with a tame color, either. Indigo blue or violet would be gorgeous options as well. Courtesy of Homemadesimple.com, check out these tips to creating a lampshade like the one above. (more…)
Location: Atlanta, GA
We are hiring THREE Interns to work in our Atlanta office for Summer 2013. To qualify for this internship you MUST be able to work out of our office, located in Atlanta.
Who we are …
curlBOX is an affordable, effortless and easier way to explore hair products. Each month we deliver 5-7 hand-selected curly hair products to our subscriber’s door every month. We believe in excellence and our goal is to enhance the way the curly hair community experiences products. The company launched in November 2011 and shipped the first curlBOX on February 7, 2012 and we’ve grown at a pace that even blows us away. We’re pretty transparent with the way we do business at curlBOX and if you want to be a part of an exciting and blossoming company, this is the place to be!
We must stop and once again marvel Solange’s eccentric curls at last night’s 2013 Grammy Awards. Whether you loved or hated her half-curl, half-fro ‘do, there are a few tips to steal from her faux essence.
1. STRETCH OUT: You can give your hair instant fluff by stretching your kinks. Take a blow-dryer on a medium heat-setting, grab and stretch out a section of curls, and quickly run it along your roots. This will loosen your pattern and elongate your locks. If you’re going for a seriously stretched look, run your blow-dryer quickly across your curls from root to tip. Shake and fluff with your hands.
2. CURL TEASE: Need a little extra height? Take a pick and lift at the root. Make sure that your fingerstyle or twist is firm enough to withstand the pick. You’d hate to actually comb completely through your curls, resulting in a frizzy, not-so-fabulous mess. (more…)
It’s been a long time coming for curlBOX and we celebrated our first anniversary yesterday! *pause for applause* Throughout the year, we’ve been documenting this whirlwind experience and we’re finally ready to give our fans a peek at our upcoming mini-doc. The film – a mixture of clips from events, personal chats with Myleik Teele and exclusive looks into the curlBOX warehouse – delves further into the curly phenomenon that is curlBOX.
Since I started curlBOX, my good friend Adell encouraged me to document this experience. He’d come to the warehouse on a curlBOX ship date with his camera and he’d come to the photo shoots and when the 1 year anniversary for curlBOX was approaching, he suggested that I do a mini-documentary. As a friend, he knew how much I’d appreciate being able to look back at my year and boy was he right! This is a bit of my story. A bit of how curlBOX gets done. I’m grateful for the year with you. I’m thankful for your business and understanding. Cheers to a year of dreams and a lifetime of wishes!
Happy Birthday, curlBOX! – Myleik
Check it out. (more…)
Sometimes you have to fake your fabulosity. Our kinks, curls and waves are occasionally hell bent on destroying our lives by not smoothing or bouncing like we’d want them to. But you’re too creative for that. Here are three ways to get the last laugh on a bad hair day.
1. It’s Monday and the front of your style is the bane of your existence. Your attempts at fluffing and moving your side part just aren’t working. Save yourself some trouble by tuck and rolling those unruly curls. Like the cool style above, create a fabulous princess-inspired head band by sectioning off pieces in the front and rolling your curls back toward the middle of your head. Slick your edges down with a little Creme Of Nature Argan Oil Perfect Edges. (more…)
This week’s MY Life muse: Myleik’s podcasts
“Each week, I have people reach out to me asking for advice or to pick my brain. While I’d love to be able to help each and every person, the truth is that I just don’t have enough time to be able to do it all. I started these podcasts over a year ago and I try to keep them under 10 minutes. They’re very open and honest and I’ve gotten pretty good feedback.”
Word hard. Produce results. Sounds easy, huh? Not so much. In curlBOX creator Myleik Teele’s series of podcasts, she addresses your burning questions about starting a business, meeting your goals and building a great team. She’s planning a forthcoming podcast on “How to Focus.” Check out the rest of the videos in the meantime.
They don’t call them “Power Girls” for nothing. Nicole Garner, one of curlBOX’s favorite publicists and dear friend to the brand, loves a challenge. The CEO of the The Garner Circle, a high profile events planning, fashion and lifestyle, public relations and marketing firm, reps clients like Strength of Nature (African Pride, Elasta QP) MillerCoors and The Lincoln Honors. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, the Georgia State University and Fashion Institute of Technology grad helms the ship of an ever-evolving team in the nation’s new hub for all things entertainment. Get a load of her journey.
What was your big break in public relations?
Nicole Garner: One of my first clients was “Three Brown Girls” (Kim Porter, Nicole Johnson, & Eboni Elektra). They produced the fashion night for the Congressional Black Caucus hosted by Sean “Diddy” Combs. I handled the national PR and doors began to open more and more after that.
What was your biggest barrier in becoming an entrepreneur? (more…)
Now is the perfect time to try a straight style. Though the cold weather isn’t fun to bear, the crisp wind allows you to maintain a fabulous flat-ironed look.
1. PICK A NOURISHING SHAMPOO: Any stylist will tell you “great hair starts at the bowl,” so pick a softening shampoo that lends itself to helping you achieve manageable hair. Save those clarifying shampoos for a day at the beach. Use Creme Of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine ‘ Sulfate- Free’ Shampoo to prep your mane.
2. ALWAYS USE A LEAVE-IN: Most curlies go wrong by not protecting their tresses before blowing out their curls. A leave-in conditioner or heat protectant serum coats your curls and preps them to handle the stress and gentle tugging of a blow-out. You also lessen your chances of damaging your curls by spritzing your hair with a leave-in like Oyin Juices and Berries Leave-in Hair Tonic. (more…)
This week’s MY Life muse: SKINS 6|2 COSMETICS in Las Vegas
“I went on a quick work trip to Las Vegas this week and stopped inside of the most amazing “beauty supply” I’ve ever seen in my life. When you walk in, everyone is pleasant and you feel like you’ve died and gone to super-Sephora heaven! Everything is bright, airy and unique. I met Linda inside the store and she literally took me on a tour, giving me the skinny on the latest and greatest in skin, body and fragrance.”
For any ultimate beauty junkie, stumbling upon a beauty treasure out of town is definitely cause for celebration. (more…)
Fly high, my loves. Take those curls to new heights by doing a fabulous updo with these three tips.
1. HAVE THE RIGHT PINS: Many curlies make the mistake of not having long bobby pins. These accessories are sturdy and tight. They work much better than short pins, which usually result in your kinks, curls or waves exploding out of your ‘do. Use pins that don’t collapse under pressure. Also, criss cross your pins for more staying power. X marks the spot. (more…)