Tags: 2013 grammy awards, faux curls, natural hair, solange, the look
We must stop and once again marvel Solange’s eccentric curls at last night’s 2013 Grammy Awards. Whether you loved or hated her half-curl, half-fro ‘do, there are a few tips to steal from her faux essence.
1. STRETCH OUT: You can give your hair instant fluff by stretching your kinks. Take a blow-dryer on a medium heat-setting, grab and stretch out a section of curls, and quickly run it along your roots. This will loosen your pattern and elongate your locks. If you’re going for a seriously stretched look, run your blow-dryer quickly across your curls from root to tip. Shake and fluff with your hands.
2. CURL TEASE: Need a little extra height? Take a pick and lift at the root. Make sure that your fingerstyle or twist is firm enough to withstand the pick. You’d hate to actually comb completely through your curls, resulting in a frizzy, not-so-fabulous mess. Read More…
Tags: Bad Hair Day Tips, creme of nature, OYIN
Sometimes you have to fake your fabulosity. Our kinks, curls and waves are occasionally hell bent on destroying our lives by not smoothing or bouncing like we’d want them to. But you’re too creative for that. Here are three ways to get the last laugh on a bad hair day.
1. It’s Monday and the front of your style is the bane of your existence. Your attempts at fluffing and moving your side part just aren’t working. Save yourself some trouble by tuck and rolling those unruly curls. Like the cool style above, create a fabulous princess-inspired head band by sectioning off pieces in the front and rolling your curls back toward the middle of your head. Slick your edges down with a little Creme Of Nature Argan Oil Perfect Edges. Read More…
Tags: creme of nature, curly to straight, OYIN
Now is the perfect time to try a straight style. Though the cold weather isn’t fun to bear, the crisp wind allows you to maintain a fabulous flat-ironed look.
1. PICK A NOURISHING SHAMPOO: Any stylist will tell you “great hair starts at the bowl,” so pick a softening shampoo that lends itself to helping you achieve manageable hair. Save those clarifying shampoos for a day at the beach. Use Creme Of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine ‘ Sulfate- Free’ Shampoo to prep your mane.
2. ALWAYS USE A LEAVE-IN: Most curlies go wrong by not protecting their tresses before blowing out their curls. A leave-in conditioner or heat protectant serum coats your curls and preps them to handle the stress and gentle tugging of a blow-out. You also lessen your chances of damaging your curls by spritzing your hair with a leave-in like Oyin Juices and Berries Leave-in Hair Tonic. Read More…
Tags: Creme Of Nature Argan Oil Perfect Edges, Elentee Soy Twist And Lock Gel, First Line Evolve Deep Stimulating Brush, hair how to, Natural hair updos
Fly high, my loves. Take those curls to new heights by doing a fabulous updo with these three tips.
1. HAVE THE RIGHT PINS: Many curlies make the mistake of not having long bobby pins. These accessories are sturdy and tight. They work much better than short pins, which usually result in your kinks, curls or waves exploding out of your ‘do. Use pins that don’t collapse under pressure. Also, criss cross your pins for more staying power. X marks the spot. Read More…
Tags: creme of nature, curly hair, headand, mizani, natural hair, puff
Whether you’re a natural newbie or a transitioner, ridding of your treasured headband can be hard. Most textured beauties begin their natural journey by pulling back their curls into a puff because they don’t quite know what to do with their mass of curls. Though the elastic headband is a quick fix for bad hair days, it doesn’t have to be a staple. Mind these tips that take cues from the photos above:
1. Let it run wild: Sure, you blame your affinity for pulling your curls back on the fact that your hair sticks up every which way when it’s free. Well, it’s supposed to. Adjust your thinking and consider a how a side or middle part will change the direction of your curls, thus changing the look. Also, fingerstyle or twist your wet curls in the direction that you love the most.
Many curlies can’t experience the true beauty of their curls because they haven’t given it a good detangling. Apply your Creme Of Nature Argan Oil Intensive Conditioning Treatment, use a wide tooth comb, and really discover your mane’s shape and length. Read More…
Tags: curlBOX, curly hair, grace jones, natural hair, short hair
In this new segment, we’ll showcase the latest gorgeous, curly styles, along with suggestions from your current curlBOX.
Whether you’re a buzzed babe rocking the big chop or a lover of a fresh cut, wearing short natural hair requires a few simple tips.
1. Consider your shape: A buzzed fade simply requires the assistance of a good barber, but a professional cut is essential for growing out your tresses with ease. A tapered neckline always accentuates your style and fret not, the curls at your neckline tend to grow at a rapid pace, so you can keep it trimmed until you allow it to grow evenly with the rest of your mane.
A high top fade a la Grace Jones is a look that can be achieved with any pattern. They key is to focus on maintaining volume up top with shorter sides. You can also fake this style by smoothing back your edges and using a pick to lift at the roots near the front.
Tired of your short cut? Get creative and add faux textured pieces to keep it funky. Check out the Kanekalon braided bun above.
2. Choose definition: Focus on showing off your pattern with your short cut by using a styling aid that firmly sets your look. Start with Isabella’s Own Sulfate Free Shampoo to soften your curls. Use a dollop of Nubian Heritage Treatment Masque and detangle with a paddle brush. Style in-shower or following your conditioning session with Olive Oil Ecostyler Gel. If interested in wearing the style for a few days, use your fingers to gently coil sections and set under a dryer.
3. Refresh daily: You don’t have to do a wash-n-go every day to maintain your look. Instead, use a satin scarf or bonnet to preserve your look at night and use a spritz of water in the morning to reactivate your product.
*Products are available in the December 2012 curlBox.