A good protective style is perfect for the summer when you’re looking to try something new. Myleik’s been wearing a fabulous curly weave from the Heat Free Hair brand.
“I’ve been having a really good time with the Heat Free Hair. I am wearing two bundles of “For Kinks” in 16 inches. I had the weave installed by Charmel at High Maintenance in Atlanta and had it cut by my hairstylist, Danielle Carrington at “Like The River” salon in Atlanta. Danielle gave it a “point cut” and put some shape around the face (bang area). Having a GOOD CUT on any head of hair is so important.” – Myleik
Check out her tips to maintaining the style.
I got off to a bit of a rough start with the HFH. I haven’t had long hair in a while and this is A LOT of hair so you have to really wrap your mind around that. This is how I’ve been able to get the heat free hair poppin:
1. Get it shaped. I mentioned this before, but if you aren’t wearing the really long “For Kurls” collection, my suggestion is to get the hair shaped so that it frames your face.
2. BRAID your hair in sections before you even think about getting in the shower to wash it. Wash with your favorite shampoo and make sure you use something really good for the scalp because it’s having a hard time breathing under there.
3. I went out and bought the gigantic bottle of Herbal Essences “Hello Hydration.” You’re going to need a LOT of conditioner to detangle in the shower and this does the trick. Any of the Denman brushes will work but if you want to move quickly like I do, upgrade to a big paddle brush and your prayers will be answered.
4. I still use my leave-in on the hair. I love Ouidad’s Moisture Lock Leave-In Conditioner.
5. I have been styling with EVERY product under the sun (because I’m having fun experimenting). A few fave twist out cocktails I love are:
– Beautiful Textures Curl Definer Mousse + Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
– Obia Curl Moisture Cream (FAB curls by itself)
– Obia Curl Enhancing Custard
6. My recommendation is to PINEAPPLE the hair at night or braid or twist it back. DO NOT go to sleep without caring for the hair.
7. When my scalp gets really itchy, I have used the Huetiful Hair Steamer to combat the itch. You MUST make sure the hair is braided and be careful with the vent because the steam can get trapped in your braids and get really hot so make sure you’re managing the temp. Wash, steam, wash, condition, set.
Seriously, how cute is this style?